UMass leans on running back, special teams for success

By Matt Hopkinson

Quarterback: Redshirt freshman Mike Wegzyn has been given the reins as the main signal caller for UMass. Wegzyn has been more counterproductive than anything else, as he has seven interceptions on the season to just four touchdowns in the passing game. Sitting with an overall completion percentage of 51.5, Wegzyn has not found a comfort zone in either end of his game, as he only has 157 net yards rushing on the season as well. If NIU can get pressure in the backfield, it has an opportunity to let Wegzyn’s inexperience show.

Running Back: The main feature back for the Minutemen is a man who has already graduated college. Serving as a running back for the Wolverines of Michigan from 2008-2011, graduate student Michael Cox has started all eight games for UMass. Cox has put up 493 net yards on the season with three touchdowns. The numbers don’t leap out at you, but no one else, aside from Wegzyn, has more than 100 yards rushing on the season. The defensive line of the Huskies should have an easy time stymieing the rushing game, barring a breakout performance from an underutilized player.

Wide Receiver: Another graduate student anchors the main receiver spot, with former Notre Dame reserve Deion Walker being the main target for UMass. Walker has hauled in 40 catches for 475 yards on the season, including three touchdowns. Walker stands 6’3” and weighs over 200 pounds, so he will be a physically demanding cover. However, he doesn’t bring the athletic potential for a big breakout play as his longest catch of the season is 33 yards.

Offensive Line: Starting in a key line position, redshirt senior Stephane Milhim has held down the left guard spot this season. Standing 6’5” and weighing in at 315 pounds, Milhim has played every single position on the line in his career at Umass, so he possesses the knowledge and ability to perform at a high level. Milhim and the rest of his linemates have allowed 15 sacks this season, which does not help the case of their young quarterback. The Minutemen have also only rushed for 787 total yards on the season, so for them to break their losing ways the line will have to give more than their usual effort.

Defensive Line: The leading tackler from an overall inexperienced and underperforming defensive line is yet another graduate student. Hafis Williams is another former Notre Dame player, who on the season for UMass has recorded 31 tackles. Three and a half of those have come for a loss. Williams and his linemates will be in for a long day of football if their previous statistics are an indicator of performance. Teams this year have rushed for a combined 1,827 yards against them in just eight games, scoring 20 touchdowns on the ground. NIU junior quarterback Jordan Lynch may be looking at his second 200-yard rushing game.

Linebacker: The leader by a mile in defensive performance for the Minutemen is senior Perry McIntyre, who has recorded 84 tackles on the year, 40 of those solo tackles. He has also recorded three and a half tackles for loss. While not posting a sack, McIntyre has the ability to roam the entire field and make stops in a group or by himself. McIntyre has also posted two pass breakups. If there is one player NIU may have to game plan around defensively, McIntyre would be a safe bet to be on a bulletin board.

Defensive Back: Redshirt senior defensive back Darren Thellen has already grabbed two interceptions of the team’s seven on the season. Thallen is also the third leading tackler on the team with 51 stops, one of those coming for a loss. Thallen is a big defensive back, standing 6’2”, weighing over 200 pounds. Thallen will be a physical presence and will most likely be matched against senior receiver Martel Moore. Look for this matchup to provide one of the more intriguing games within the game, as Thallen looks to make an impact for a team desperate for any sort of momentum.

Special Teams: Sophomore running back Jordan Broadnax has made an impact for the Minutemen not by rushing the ball, but by returning kick-offs. Broadnax has returned 33 kick-offs this year for 742 yards, including a long of 61 yards. The kick-off return yardage alone puts Broadnax alone at the top of all-purpose yards for his team this season. His athleticism may be one factor that could possibly help make the contest a tight one. If NIU is unable to contain Broadnax, the Minutemen may be able to get out of their scoring doldrums.