See all of DeKalb and more from the observatory

Courtney Vadnais, freshman translation and business spanish major, looks through the Davis Hall Oberservatory’s telescope to see the stars in November 2011.

By Erin Kolb

The Davis Hall observatory offers students the chance to see things billions of miles away.

The observatory is a popular spot, as more than 50 people visit on any given clear night, said observatory manager Matt Wiesner. From the window of the observatory, viewers can see the entire city of DeKalb, but they can also see more. The most distant object usually observed is the Andromeda Galaxy, which is about 2.5 million light years away.

Mitch Kazuk, senior broadcast journalism major, said he has been to the observatory before.

“It’s such a unique sight to see,” Kazuk said. “My girlfriend goes to a school that doesn’t have anything like that and she is interested in astronomy, so she really likes to go to the observatory when she has the chance to come visit.”

The observatory keeps up to date with the latest cosmic occurrences. More than 300 people attended to observe the transit of Venus in June 2012. Currently, Mars and Saturn are both visible with the help of a main telescope. Jupiter will soon be visible along with its moons with the help of a Galileo telescope.

“With the Galileo telescope, we are able to see the things that Galileo saw, including the moons of Jupiter,” Wiesner said.

The cost of updating the observatory is high, Wiesner said. The current telescope was purchased with a grant for $14,500. Wiesner said the observatory updates their telescopes and cameras constantly.

The observatory is not just for students. During the summer, families and high school students from the community visit.

Senior dance major Joey Gasso said he knows the Davis Hall observatory as the big dome on campus, but has never been inside.

“I remember when I went through orientation, and the leader pointed out the Davis dome,” Gasso said. “I remember thinking, ‘Wow, what a cool opportunity!’ but I haven’t ever followed through with visiting, even though I see it everyday.”

The dome is open every Thursday and Friday regardless of weather. Wiesner said he advises students to come in on a clear night to make the most of the opportunity.