Women’s Resource Center introduced through BBQ

By Erin Kolb

A six-year tradition was continued Wednesday at the Women’s Resource Center on the corner of Lincoln Highway and Normal Road.

The Women’s Resource Center’s Welcome Back BBQ, formerly known as Grills, Games and Girls, was held to greet students and raise awareness about the center.

Students walking by were invited in by the smell of the grill cooking free hot dogs, hamburgers and veggie burgers, and a table full of cookies, fresh fruit and drinks. Games were also set up outside.

The center features “student programming that focuses on advocacy, leadership and women empowerment,” according to Lisa Schmidt, acting director for the center.

The two-story house on the corner features several services and accommodations to students, including a computer lab, a conference room and smart classroom and offices. There is a lounge upstairs with places to sit.

“Sometimes students come here in between classes to take a nap,” Schmidt said. “Women also use this room to pump breast milk if needed.”

Downstairs there is a wellness and relaxation room with yoga mats and DVDs. Students are able to come to the center anytime and utilize the rooms at no cost.

Latasha Green, senior family, consumer, and nutrition sciences: family and individual development major, is one student who utilizes the center.

“I like to come here between classes to do yoga or take a nap,” she said.

Along with student programming, the center is home to Victim Advocacy Services, which provides advocacy to women who have been victimized by sexual harassment, dating violence or stalking.

The center also tries to raise awareness on some women’s issues, like eating disorders, through programs. Last year, there was a fashion show called Own It: Embrace Your Beauty Fashion Show. The show was organized in part by alumna Lee Ann Park, who created her own clothing line. Her line is called Little in the Middle. Park makes clothes, mostly jeans, that are designed to fit all women.

The center does not yet have any theme or partnerships developed for another show this year, but wishes to hold one in February.

Another program the center had was a clothing swap that focused on business clothes. Clothes were donated by faculty and staff and the event took place right before the internship and job fairs last fall. The swap was co-organized by career services at NIU.

“That way, the women would have something professional to wear to the fairs and make a good impression,” said Schmidt.

The Women’s Resource Center is affiliated with the Women’s Studies department and is open to collaboration with any group on campus, Schmidt said.