Students snag free work clothes

By Brian Guttman

Students browsed tables of free secondhand clothing for new additions to their wardrobes Tuesday at the Women’s Resource Center’s fall clothing expo.

The expo was started in 2011 to offer students more access to professional clothing; attendees are able to take clothing that has been donated. The event came at the suggestion of a student worker in the Women’s Resource Center.

“She was getting feedback from other students who are in need of some clothes for some of the career fairs,” said Carrie Williams, assistant director of the center.

The event aimed to make it easier for students to have clothing acceptable for job interviews or formal occasions.

“They [students] appreciate being able to come in and shop for free,” Williams said.

Donated jackets, button-up shirts, dress pants and shoes were available, as were suits by Little in the Middle, a clothing company created by alumna Lee Ann Park.

“I was just looking for some business clothes that I could possibly hand out to people that I know personally who don’t have the money to pick it up themselves,” said junior undecided major Jesse Guice.

Students weren’t restricted to professional attire: There was also casual wear, including T-shirts, shorts and sweaters.

“[Students] don’t have the time or the money to go to Walmart and look for clothes, so this gives them a quick fix,” said Lindsey Sheehan, senior art history and history major.

The expo is held in the fall and spring semesters, and the clothing is all gathered by the Women’s Resource Center through donations from faculty, students and the community.

“Whoever wants to bring clothes from the community to on-campus, we’re always open throughout the [school] year,” Williams said.

Next spring, students will have another chance to update their professional wardrobe and make sure they’re prepared with suitable attire.

“Give off a positive outlook to whoever you’re portraying it to, either a business person or some type of career that you’re going to go into, you just want to look professional,” said Megan Le, junior elementary education major. “Put out your best foot.”