Improper cooking causes fire at Carniceria Del Sol


By Olivia Willoughby

A structure fire caused extensive damage at a downtown DeKalb business Friday night.

Tony Cox, DeKalb Fire Department captain, said the fire was caused by improper cooking at Carniceria Del Sol, 323 E. Locust St.

The DeKalb Fire Department was called at 9:49 p.m. Friday night. Cox said there was an open flame under a large pot and grease spilled on the flame, which caused the fire.

“There was heavy smoke from the rear area of the building,” Cox said. “There was some light smoke damage to the building east of the building on fire. The fire was under control after 35 minutes.”

Interim fire chief Eric Hicks said the fire caused total loss inside the business.

“The smoke could be seen throughout downtown,” he said. “Pretty much all of the interior property was lost. If there’s a fire in a food store, there will be no salvageable food left over after extinguishing it.”

Cox said the fire caused $250,000 in damages. He also said the owners and occupants of Carniceria Del Sol were not injured and are being assisted by the DeKalb County Health Department and the Fire Prevention Department.