Women’s Studies Program to host events for Women’s History Month

By Lauren Dielman

Several events, from presentations to educational panels to self-defense workshops, will coincide with Women’s History Month this year.

Rebekah Kohli, program coordinator for the Women’s Studies Program, said Women’s History Month is something people should know about.

“Women’s History Month offers us an opportunity to raise awareness of and celebrate women’s accomplishments and contributions on a local, national and global level,” Kohli said.

Kohli said one of the events she is most excited about is a presentation by Alicia Schatteman, assistant professor of public administration.

Schatteman’s presentation will focus on women philanthropists and how their involvement in philanthropy has changed over time.

“Women have always helped others, but the ways and extent that women give today is different and changing,” Schatteman said. “Women’s responsibilities are changing and nonprofit organizations need to engage women in their organization, whether through volunteer service or through monetary gifts, in ways that are mutually beneficial.”

Schatteman’s presentation will run from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday in the Holmes Student Center Illinois Room. The event is open to the public, and attendees are welcome to bring a lunch.

Another event Kohli said she is looking forward to will be led by Susie Porter, associate professor of history at the University of Utah. Porter will give two presentations about Mexican women’s history at 4:30 p.m. Monday in Room 121 of the Latino Center and 10 a.m. March 27 in the Illinois Room of the Holmes Student Center.

“I would say that Mexican women’s history is full of fascinating women who wrote brilliantly about women’s rights,” Porter said. “It is exciting to see so many thoughtful, compelling women in Mexican history. While we don’t usually think of work as a source of inspiration for feminism, many of those women were in fact inspired to imagine new realities for Mexican women based on their work place experiences.”