Everyday spring fashion

By Lindsey Diehl

This spring is all about colors, prints and bold styles.

With the transition of winter to spring quickly approaching, NIU students are showing glimpses of upcoming spring fashion looks by taking high fashion runway trends and applying them to their everyday style.

1. Pastel Separates

Pastel or sorbet colored separates are all the rage this spring. By popping in a soft pink, lavender, mint green or robin’s egg blue hue to an ensemble, an instant spring time feel is created.

Senior journalism major Rhonda Lee rocks the pastel color trend by wearing light orange skinny jeans to class.

“I like to try different shades with my jeans because it’s more intriguing than changing the color of your T-shirt,” she said. “The color compliments my skin tone and is a nice transition color from winter to spring.”

2. Pleats

This conservative trend is making a revival since its main popularity in the 1950’s. High-waisted pleated shorts and knee length pleated skirts have been frequently showcased at spring runway shows from Burberry and YSL [Yves Saint Laurent] to Prada. Pleated bottoms are extremely applicable to both daywear and nightwear. For a more casual day look, students pair pleats with flats and a cardigan. With an easy swap of flats for chunky heels, and a cardigan for a bold tank, the looks is ready for a night on the town.

3. Bright Florals

This spring season’s fashion boasts femininity. Pairing an outfit with a bright and bold floral piece adds a touch of elegance and softness.

Popular Manhattan based designer Jason Wu’s spring collection featured youthful cartoon-like prints of floral.

Shakira Bates, senior media studies major, applies the bold runway look to her everyday wear. She swears by the trend due to its versatility.

“[Floral print] can go with anything,” she said. “It can go with stripes. It can go with plaid. It can go with a regular tank top. It just works.”

4. Chevrons

Not only are chevrons a big interior spring trend but they’re also hot in fashion. This chunky inverted V pattern is replacing the outdated classic stripe.

Missoni, an Italian fashion label, is a big inspiration behind the popularity of chevron knitwear. From chevron patterned tops, skirts, dresses, scarves to even shoes, the trend is easily paired with casual and formal looks by students.

5. Crop Tops and Bra Tops

Designers such as Donna Karan and Rebecca Minkoff are taking part in bringing back the tummy baring trend.

Crop tops are shirts which expose the stomach area, while tighter fitting bra tops expose more of the rib cage and are usually worn with high-waisted bottoms or outerwear.

Crop Tops and bra tops are re-surging on both the runway and in everyday wear. Daring NIU students have been seen wearing this trend at night at the bar scene or at house parties.

Sarah Beltrame, junior business administration and textile apparel merchandising major, opts for the crop top trend but with a personal twist.

“I usually like to wear a crop top with a faded pair of jeans,” she said. “It reminds me of the 1960’s for some reason. Very casual, very fun.”