Improv show brings Valentine’s comedy to life

By Lauren Dielman

Six students plan to present The Walk of Shame, an improv show centered around the comedic awkwardness that ensues on Valentine’s Day.

The Walk of Shame will help the actors raise money to fund the filming for a later project. Ben Park, senior theater major, said if students go, they should expect to laugh.

“They should expect one hell of a funny show filled with debauchery, awkward romantic moments, and sex simply seen through funny goggles,” Park said. “Nothing too raunchy, but certainly a comedic look at sex, which, at times, can be pure hilarity.”

Junior theater major Christy Gianneschi said students should see the show because it will be unlike anything they have seen performed at NIU since it’s from a college student’s prospective. The show is based on real life experiences that were “embellished” when the script was written.

Zack Neiditch, senior theater studies major, said it is important for students to see that not every production at NIU is dark and depressing.

“We can be funny, too,” Neiditch said. “People should simply expect a raunchy, fun evening that will make them smile.”

Gianneschi said The Walk of Shame will be similar to TV shows, like Saturday Night Live and Whose Line Is It Anyway?, but will differ because it focuses on students.

“I’m looking forward to the show being produced, directed, written, and performed by the students,” Gianneschi said. “It isn’t often that we have opportunities to show our fellow students how much we really learn from our department, and it is a world not everyone is familiar with. This showcase is a great opening to let them see how passionate and excited we are about theater, and that it is so much more than what people assume it to be.”

Park said he is looking forward to how the improv will play out during their live show, including how all the actors will relate to each other once on stage. Some actors come up with a general idea of what they will say before they rehearse, but most of the production will be based off improv because of the cast’s size.

“Most of our ideas are original and since we have a big cast, the most efficient thing to do is let everybody have a chance to contribute to the comedy that will ensue,” Park said.

Neiditch said he would rather work from a script to “feel more safe,” but he understands why improv was chosen.

“The cast we have is just so naturally funny that improv lets you discover so many things you wouldn’t originally think of,” Neidtch said.

Gianneschi said although the show is mostly improv, the actors will still have a script.

“I am glad that we have a script to help guide us through the show, but I’m proud of our group for taking the opportunity to use improv in one of it’s more effective ways,” Gianneschi said.

Neiditch said he is looking forward to being in front of a live audience.

“It’s always such a pleasure to make people smile or brighten their days,” Neidtich said. “I’m excited for that, even if we have to tell a few off-color jokes to get there.”