Pedestrian struck by vehicle

DeKalb Police officers blocked the eastbound lane of Lucinda Avenue following an accident near the Holmes Student Center during which a pedestrian was struck by a vehicle.

By Jessica Wells

A DeKalb resident was struck by a car in front of the Holmes Student Center on Lucinda Avenue Monday morning.

DeKalb Police Lt. Gary Spangler said a blue Ford Ranger making a left turn from the driveway near Laing Management, 701 Lucinda Ave. #100, struck a 26-year-old male pedestrian around 10:30 a.m. Spangler said the pedestrian was in the street, not in a crosswalk, when struck.

The pedestrian was unresponsive at the scene and taken to Kishwaukee Community Hospital for a head injury. Spangler said he was transported to a Rockford area hospital for further treatment Monday afternoon.

Paul Palian, director of NIU Media and Public Affairs, said their office checked the pedestrian’s name and he has never been enrolled at NIU.

DeKalb Police cruisers blocked traffic in the eastbound lane on Lucinda Avenue from Neptune Residence Hall to the bus turnaround at the Holmes Student Center until about 11:10 a.m. Monday.

Officers on the scene were also interviewing a Huskie Bus driver of the seven route. Spangler, who was not on the scene, said the bus was getting ready to turn onto Lucinda at the time of the accident.

“If they’re talking to a bus driver it’s probably a witness,” Spangler said.

NIU Police and Veolia personnel on the scene declined to comment. Laing Management did not return calls as of press time.

Spangler said DeKalb Police are still investigating the accident.