Grading our men’s basketball freshmen

Northern Star File Photo

By Brian Belford

Barring any success in the MAC tournament, the NIU men’s basketball season is coming to a close. With that in mind, it’s time to grade coach Mark Montgomery’s first recruiting class of seven freshmen.

Stian Berg, Guard

Berg became the team’s starting point guard once Zach Miller went down with an injury. He still needs to work on his passing, and he isn’t a true point guard, but his shooting ability gives the Huskies a legitimate long-range threat. Berg has been the most efficient NIU shooter from downtown, making 32 percent of his treys this season.

GRADE B-

Abdel Nader, Forward/Guard

Nader has experienced ups and downs in his freshman season. He became the unquestioned go-to guy once Toler left the team, and if he can make his shots more consistently and improve his leadership, he should be NIU’s leading scorer for the rest of his career. Nader averaged 10.5 points and 4.2 rebounds per game this year, and has made a team high 31 three pointers.

GRADE B+

Keith Gray, Forward/Center

Keith, who wears number 21, has been called one of the most talented players on the floor by his coaches. Gray needs to work on his discipline; he leads the team with 87 player fouls. This goes double for his rebounding, as he averages 3.3 per game. The talent is there, but it needs to be developed.

GRADE C

Kevin Gray, Forward/Center

Kevin has started eight more games than his twin brother, but hasn’t been able to turn those minutes into solid production. He is third on the team in rebounding, and averages 3.9 rebounds per game. Gray averages 2.8 points per 20 minutes, and he needs to become a more dominant low post scoring threat for NIU going forward.

GRADE C-

Marquavese Ford, Guard

Ford’s minutes increased after Miller got hurt, and he was able to show off his passing and defensive skills. Ford needs to shoot the ball better and make better decisions, but has helped solidify the point guard position. He is second on the team with 61 turnovers, but leads the team in total assists with 44 and leads the team in steals with 22.

GRADE C

Zach Miller, Guard

Miller earned the starting point guard spot early in the year, but suffered a torn meniscus and was ruled out for the rest of the season. If he recovers well and doesn’t lose any speed, Miller gives NIU a solid, heady option as a true point guard. Miller led the team in assists before getting hurt, and had 28 turnovers in 16 games.

GRADE C

Jeremiah Jackson, Forward

Jackson has received the least amount of playing time out of the freshmen, and it might be because he is such a raw product. Jackson would benefit from adding some muscle in the offseason, and due to his lack of playing time, hasn’t really had a chance to show what he can do.

GRADE D+

Stian Berg, Guard

GRADE B-

Abdel Nader, Forward/Guard

GRADE B+

Keith Gray, Forward/Center

GRADE C

Kevin Gray, Forward/Center

GRADE C-

Marquavese Ford, Guard

GRADE C

Zach Miller, Guard

GRADE C

Jeremiah Jackson, Forward

GRADE D+