Financial aid help available at FAFSA Fun Fest

By Lauren Dielman

Students are encouraged to attend FAFSA Fun Fest Thursday, where they can expect free food, raffle prizes and help filling out their FAFSA form.

The FAFSA Fun Fest, hosted by the NIU Office of Student Financial Aid, will go from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Student Financial Aid Office, said Jane Jordan, associate director for the Student Financial Aid Office.

Jordan said filling out a FAFSA form should be a top priority.

“It’s so important that students fill this out so they can participate in MAP Grants,” Jordan said. “Just get it done. If students don’t get it done, they’re not eligible [for MAP Grants].”

Jordan said this is the second year FAFSA Fun Fest will be held.

“We’re here and available to help with FAFSAs,” Jordan said. “Victor E. Huskie will be here and we’ve got raffle prizes.”

Some of the raffle prizes includes gift cards for Applebees, Fatty’s, Huskie Athletics, and upcoming concerts. Lunch and dessert will be provided.

Jordan said although the FAFSA Fun Fest is Thursday, the Office of Student Financial Aid helps students every day of the school week.

“We’ll help Monday through Friday,” Jordan said.

Jordan said the priority filing date for NIU is March 1, but people can still apply for financial aid after that date.

Roy Rosales, freshman electrical engineering major, said he would consider attending FAFSA Fun Fest had he not already completed his FAFSA.

“I’d find it beneficial,” Rosales said. “It’d be nice and fun and take the stress out of it, especially if you’re a freshman.”

Rosales said some students don’t have experience filling out the FAFSA since their parents filled it in the past.

Morgen Edwards, senior psychology major, said there was something similar to FAFSA Fun Fest at her community college, but “nothing cool like there is at NIU.”

Jasmine Harvell, senior communications major, works at the Office of Student Financial Aid and said FAFSA Fun Fest would be worthwhile for all student to attend.

“It’s going to be fun and beneficial,” Harvell said.

FAFSA Fun Fest is sponsored by the Scholarship Office, the Office of Student Academic Success, and Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.