Division II hockey wins three, loses five over break

By Ed Rietveld

Winter break was not much of a break for NIU’s Division II hockey team.

The Huskies had a total of eight games over the holiday, finishing with a record of 3-5 over that span.

The Huskies (10-13-2) hosted Kansas (0-17-0) to conclude their eight-game stretch.

NIU snapped a five-game losing steak with a 8-0 win over the Jayhawks.

D-II coach Greg Chromy felt the Huskies’ puck possession and movement helped them earn the win.

“Tonight we were actually moving our feet and had good control,” Chromy said. “We were making quick passes. We were keeping them on their heels,”

NIU freshman forward Joe Serpico had a hat trick against the Jayhawks. Huskies’ freshman forward Justin Rucinski also tallied two goals of his own.

But the real hero for NIU might have sophomore goaltender Jonny Perillo, who earned the shutout. But Perillo was quick to praise his teammates for aiding him for his in net performance.

“They’re always a big help,” Perillo said, “They move the puck really well, settled it down. They were always there blocking shots for me. Today, it was a really big help.”

The Huskies completed the weekend sweep over Kansas with a 9-1 victory Saturday. Penalties forced the Huskies to be shorthanded for five minutes in the first period, yet they only allowed one goal during that span. NIU’s offense erupted with four goals in the first period.

NIU’s Mike Strumberger led the way, scoring three goals and two assists.

Chromy was very happy with Strumberger’s efforts in the game.

“[He was] phenomenal,” Chromy said, “He actually did really well. He goes to the net and, on a team like this, that’s what he needs [to do].”

Sophomore defense Mike Hansen, who also had a goal, felt a lot can be taken from the Huskies outscoring the Jayhawks 17-1 in their two wins.

“Playing a team like this, it is always nice because we can really get down to business and focus on our inside zone plays and stuff like that,” Hansen said.