Rec Rewards provide incentive for working out

Students exercise at the Rec center Wednesday night.

By Lauren Dielman

Students and members of the Rec Center will have the opportunity to earn various prizes by exercising or participating in one of the center’s programs.

“We’re trying to encourage people to be active and exercise on a consistent basis,” said Sandi Carlisle, Director of the Campus Recreation Center.

Students and members can participate in anything from swimming to outdoor adventure trips. For every thirty minutes of activity per day, students can earn one point.

“You can earn so many points per week,” Carlisle said. “Students can earn one point per day with a max of two points per week. You can also earn bonus points through different activities.”

Once enough points are earned, students and members can look forward to earning a prize.

“You can earn a water bottle for 12 points, a sports pack for 24 points or a T-shirt for 36 points,” Carlisle said.

Points are not lost when a prize is earned. Instead, more credits are built up for students to earn even more prizes.

Eric Horn, senior corporate communications major, said he had not heard of the Rec Rewards Program, but it is something he would try.

“If it incorporated intramural sports, that’d be cool,” Horn said.

Like Horn, sophomore sociology major Mark Lange had not heard about the Rec Rewards Program but thinks he would like to try it.

“I think it’d be a good idea,” Lange said.

Robert Whelan, fifth year senior and pre-physical therapy major, said the Rec Rewards Program sounded like a fun program to participate in.

“Yeah, I would do it,” Whelan said. “I like to play sports and it sounds fun.”