Phi Kappa Theta to host toy drive through end of semester

By Lauren Dielman

Phi Kappa Theta will host a toy drive until the end of the semester for the Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago.

Kevin Malone, sophomore English major and philanthropy chair for Phi Kappa Theta, said the drive began Nov. 1 and encourages all students to participate until finals.

“This is actually our first year hosting the drive,” Thomas said. “Children’s Miracle Network is our philanthropy [project] and the hospital is associated with that.”

The Children’s Memorial Hospital is involved in the toy drive every year.

“We collect toys year-round,” Griffin said. “The donations we receive help our patients throughout the year. We’re very fortunate to have this during the holidays, [but] a lot of the gifts are stored and given throughout the year.”

Justyna Griffin, activity and donations coordinator for Children’s Memorial Hospital, said participants should avoid donating any religious or military toys, including guns or weapons.

“We don’t want any toys that speak of violence,” Griffin said. “Also, stay away from religious items because we try to be diverse.”

Additionally, Jason Thomas, junior finance major and philanthropy chair for Phi Kappa Theta, said all toys need to be newly bought for infection control with hospital patients.

People can donate their toys at the Phi Kappa Theta House, Student Holmes Center, and the Student Involvement and Leadership Development Office in the Campus Life Building.

Phi Kappa Theta members thought donating toys would be a good way to help people at Children’s Memorial Hospital.

“Our goal is to try to help out as many family and children as we can and we thought this would be a good thing to do for them,” Malone said.

For a complete list of toys the Children’s Memorial Hospital recommends, visit www.childrensmemorialhospital.org.