Open house debuts new equipment for Adventure Center

By Mikah Walker

DeKALB — The S’mores Open House Wednesday at the Adventure Center introduced equipment such as ice skates and snowboards that can be rented at the Recreation Center.

Students who choose to rent equipment must pay up front. Ice skates cost $3 per day, and snowboards are $10 per day.

To rent gear, students can make a reservation by calling or emailing the request, according to NIU’s gear rental website.

Students, faculty and the DeKalb community are able to use the equipment, according to the Recreation Center’s website.

“It’s beneficial to have new equipment because some people might be interested in trying something new,” equipment manager Molly Freund said. “If they like it, they come back again.”

Freund said the Recreation Center also upgraded its boats last summer. She said its canoes and kayaks, which can seat up to two people, and its stand-up paddleboards and inflatable paddleboards are available for students to rent.

“I’ve always wanted to try kayaking once the weather changes,” sophomore psychology major Christian Farmer said.

The Recreation Center will offer a free skate night 3 to 6 p.m. Feb. 21 at the Adventure Center, according to the NIU event calendar.

“Since it’s my last year at NIU, I think I will try to ice skate,” Molly Tomeli, senior actuarial science major, said. “It’s something I’ve always wanted to do.”

The Adventure Center is open 3 to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.