Pause-Off provides resources for students dealing with domestic violence

By Colin Remes

One group that you might have seen advertised in chalk on a sidewalk lately is Pause-Off. Pause-Off is a peer educational theater troupe that acts as an educational tool and resource for students who may be dealing with issues of sexual assault and/or domestic violence.

When asked what the group does on campus, James Huizenga, senior communications major and a representative for the group said, “We go around in the fall to University 101 classes, Greek organizations or any other organization (residence halls included), and give three-part presentations on: Relationships (healthy and unhealthy), safer social habits and sexual assault.”

They also serve as a violence prevention group. “Specifically we deal with victims of sexual assault, dating and domestic violence,” Huizenga said.

One of the reasons I spoke with Huizenga in the first place was because I wanted all students – especially new transfers and incoming freshmen – to know about the resources available if they run into a situation or know someone who is in a situation and aren’t sure what to do about it.

“What we want for new freshmen and students in general [is to know] that if something does happen, there are [many] services that they can turn to, and we can help point them in the right direction.”

Pause-Off’s first referral is Victim Advocacy Services in the Women’s Resource Center. The group also wanted to stress that this resource is not a female-exlusive service. Other resources include Health Services for testing of HIV, STD and pregnancy, Kishwaukee Hospital for rape kits and the DeKalb or NIU police.

They also refer victims to Safe Passage. They have a 24-hour hotline and provide advocacy for victims, medical, legal and otherwise. They also have counseling services available like the Counseling and Student Development Center (Campus Life Building Room 200) and the outreach center in Stevenson.

As far as Pause-Off’s location, they can be found on Facebook for non-violence related issues. For more confidential issues, students are encouraged to visit Chick Evan’s Field House Room 123. Walk-ins are welcome.

There are also ways students can become involved with the group as advocates and presenters. In addition to the good you’re doing in the community, being involved in programs like this always look good a resume whether applying for a job, grad school or law school.

“[Students can join] by coming to recruitment meetings which are scheduled on our Facebook page and by calling the department. There is a ‘join the troupe’ link, on the health enhancement website,” Huizenga said.

There is also a 400-level class available in the spring without a pre-requisite, however a permit is required.

For those of you who may be interested, the class code is CAHA 492. If you would like to enroll in this class, call Andrea Drott, director of Pause-Off at 815-753-9767. You can also search the NIU’s website for Pause-Off and click the first link available for all information including the group’s members, mission statement or to request a performance. This group provides an excellent opportunity to educate new students on what to do and what resources are available if these situations arise, and would be a great idea for a Community Advisor to use as an activity for new freshmen students on their floor, or a Greek organization to invite as a special house speaker.