International food and dance to be celebrated Friday

By Felix Sarver

DeKALB | A night of ethnic food and dance awaits students at Barsema Hall Atrium Friday.

The International Dance and Global Village Potluck will feature a wide variety of ethnic dishes, exhibitions and dances.

Elisabeth Wright, international student advisor for the ELS Language Center, said this will be the biggest dance and potluck thus far as it has sponsors from the NIU College of Business and the International House.

Since this event is happening at the end of International Education Week at NIU, it is important to engage students as well as faculty, Wright said. Wright said this event is more student-centered than others happening this week.

“It’s a chance for all international students to get together and network,” Wright said.

The first part of the event will feature a two hour international tasting. Wright said Yen Ching, 810 W. Lincoln Highway, Golden Thai Jasmine, 251 E. Lincoln Highway, and Mediterraneo, 122 E. Lincoln Highway, are catering the event. International students and other contributors will offer their own dishes as well.

Indonesian Bakso meatball soup, Indian Sattu Parathas and South Korean Sujeonggwa will be offered, according to the ELS flyer for the event.

Greg Ross, faculty coordinator for International House, said there will be dance performances from participants. There will be a Thai “blessing” dance, traditional Malaysian dances, Greek dances and French cultural dances, Ross said. The Latino Resource Center will display Latino dance styles at the potluck as well, Ross said.

International world music will play during the tasting, Wright said. Afterward, a DJ will play pop music for the rest of the night, Wright said.

There will be 25 to 30 cultural displays for students wanting to learn more about the countries international students come from, Ross said.

NIU has international students from 100 different countries, Ross said. A majority of the students are Indian and Arabic, Ross said.

“This is our way of letting the university know the international community we live in,” Ross said.