City blotter for 10/7/11

By Northern Star staff

The following was taken from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

Sept. 9

• At 3:52 a.m., an officer responded NIU Parking Lot 44 for a report of criminal damage to motor vehicle. Upon arrival, he observed a vehicle with the front passenger window broken. He contacted the owner, who said no property was taken. This case was administratively closed on Wednesday.

Wednesday

• At 12:25 a.m., an officer responded to NIU Parking Lot 31 concerning a report of two vehicles with windows smashed out. Upon arrival, he met with two people who found their vehicles broken into. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 12:55 a.m., officers responded to a complaint of an obnoxious smell on the third floor of Douglas Hall A-Wing. The officers contacted with the resident of the suspected room, who produced cannabis and drug paraphernalia. The student was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct. An officer packaged the items as evidence and secured them into evidence.
  • At 10:45 a.m., an officer responded to the lobby of the NIU Police Department regarding a theft report. Upon arrival, he met with a student who said someone stole his backpack containing several items. This case is administratively closed pending further leads.
  • At 2:43 p.m., officers responded to the north side of Neptune North for a fight in progress. Upon arrival, they found two women fighting. Aurea Y. Gutierrez, 19, of Chicago, and Jazalyn D. Gonzalez, 18, of Chicago were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and domestic battery. This case is closed by arrest.
  • At 4:22 p.m. a student reported that he left clothes in the laundry and when he returned, most of his items were gone. The case is pending investigation.
  • At 8:23 p.m., officers patrolling the exterior of Lincoln Hall encountered four students who had a strong smell of burnt cannabis. The officers contacted the students which resulted in two being referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis and one was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis and drug paraphernalia. The cannabis and drug paraphernalia was processed and destroyed.