Hunky a cappella group serenades students in halls, atriums, busses

(From Left) Trent Snyder, Will Kirby, Billy Kokinis, Danny Cozzi, Jeremey Orbach, Clayton Mutert, Adam McNeil and Patrick Price perform a capella in Stevenson dining hall, October 25, 2011.

By Alex Fiore

The next time you’re tapping your foot at the Expressway Café in Stevenson, it might not be in impatience at the long line.

Brand-new male a capella group Huskie Hunks is known to perform for students at Stevenson and other residence halls, hoping to expose its all-vocal sound to the NIU student body.

Trent Snyder, Huskie Hunks co-founder and freshman undecided major, said he was attracted to the a capella sound at a young age.

“”I heard it when I was in fourth or fifth grade, and I’ve just been in love with a capella ever since,” he said. “”I’ve been in love with the weird sounds that can make music together.”

Snyder said he decided to form the group this semester with his friend Will Kirby when he realized NIU didn’t already offer an a capella group.

“I looked around and Northern really didn’t have one, so we just wanted to start one ourselves,” Snyder said.

Kirby, a freshman music education major, said he was attracted to a capella because of its diversity.

“There’s a variety of songs you can perform,” Kirby said. “We do pop, classical, jazz and rock.”

Huskie Hunks are currently rehearsing an eclectic group of songs, including Stealers Wheel’s “Stuck in the Middle with You,” Barenaked Ladies’ “Falling for the First Time,” Pink’s “Raise Your Glass,” and Sting’s “Fields of Gold.”

Besides residence halls, Huskie Hunks has performed at the Holmes Student Center, DuSable Hall and is also known to take its act on the road (literally).

“Usually after rehearsal around 8, we’ll take the Huskie Bus around, and sometimes we’ll sing,” Snyder said.

Kirby said he enjoys performing for strangers and isn’t phased when a busload of people turn to look at him singing.

“People give us weird looks, but it’s always funny,” he said.

So if you’re on campus, keep an ear out.