Campus Blotter 10/25/11

By Northern Star Staff

The following was taken from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

Thursday

• At 10:31 a.m., a student left his cell phone in a classroom in the music building and returned a short time later to find it missing. The student met with an officer at the NIU Police Department to complete a report. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 10:46 a.m., a student met with an officer at the NIU Police Department to report unlawful transactions on her bank account. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 1:24 p.m. the NIU Bursar’s office detected a counterfeit $10 bill. Due to no leads, this case is administratively closed.
  • At 9:59 p.m., a student was attending a social event at the Holmes Student Center. During the event, he misplaced his cell phone and could not find it. The student later met with an officer to report the theft of his cell phone. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 10:13 p.m., officers made contact with several students in Douglas Hall, and discovered several minors consuming alcohol. All the students were referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct. One student over 21 was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for contributing to the delinquency of minors.
  • At 11:17 p.m. an officer was completing a check of Stevenson Hall when he heard a student make a statement about consuming alcohol. The officer proceeded to make contact with all occupants of the room, who were determined to be minors consuming alcohol. All students voluntarily disposed of the alcohol and were referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct.
  • At 11:56 p.m., officers were completing a check of Lincoln Hall when they smelled burnt cannabis. Officers made contact with the resident, who admitted to smoking cannabis. The resident consented to a search of his room, which yielded no further illegal items. He was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct.

Friday

• At 9:33 a.m., a lab attendant reported her cell phone stolen from a computer lab in Reavis Hall. This case is pending investigation.
  • At 5:59 p.m., officers made contact with a resident in Lincoln Hall. After a brief conversation, the student consented to a search of his residence. The search produced one item of drug paraphernalia, which was seized and packaged as evidence. The resident was given a verbal warning.
  • At 8:35 p.m. an officer stopped a vehicle at the 300 block of North Annie Glidden Road for driving without headlights. As the officer approached the vehicle, he observed a 30-pack of Keystone Light beer and determined that all of the occupants of the vehicle were minors. One of the passengers of the vehicle later claimed ownership to all of the alcohol and was charged with unlawful possession of alcohol by a minor.
  • At 11:57 p.m., an officer was completing a check of Stevenson Hall when he heard a student make a statement about consuming alcohol. The officer proceeded to make contact with all occupants of the room, who were determined to be minors consuming alcohol. Three students voluntarily disposed of all remaining alcohol and were issued verbal warnings for unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.