Breakdown: Buffalo’s defense

By Brian Belford

Defensive Line Grade: D+

The Bulls rank 11 out of 13 teams in the MAC in rushing defense, and rank 10th overall in total defense in the MAC.

The stats can be attributed to the Bulls’ 3-4 defense, a scheme which relies on big, forceful defensive tackles to stuff the middle, which Buffalo currently lacks.

Sophomore Colby Way is second on the team in sacks, but is still maturing at his position. Senior Richie Smith is in his first year as a full time starter, and senior Gordon DuBois is undersized at 6’2” and 275 pounds.

“They’ll be in a 3-4 look, and then they’ll get into what we call a field or under look, with a three and a five to one side,” said NIU head coach Dave Doeren. “You look at them statistically, and you watch them in the run game. They do a nice job of plugging gaps, shedding blocks and tackling. They’re going to want to stop the run first.”

Linebackers Grade: B+

This is the Bulls’ best unit, and it contains most of their defensive playmakers.

Senior Fred Branch and freshman Lee Skinner are tied for the team lead in tackles.

Junior Jaleel Verser presents a size mismatch at 6’6″, 245 pounds. But the man everyone is talking about is sophomore Khalil Mack, who leads the team in sacks and tackles for losses.

He also has four forced fumbles and 10 quarterback hits.

“Mack is a real good player, very talented; we have to respect him and know where he’s at,” said NIU center Scott Wedige. “And Branch, he’s a great player, too. We have to be aware of those guys, do our jobs and keep them away from the ball.”

Defensive Backs Grade: C+

The Bulls’ defensive backs rank sixth in the MAC in passing defense.

Senior free safety Josh Copeland is third on the team in tackles and is the most experienced of the group.

Freshman cornerback Cortney Lester is versatile, can blitz and is good in coverage.

Sophomore Najja Johnson leads Buffalo with 11 pass breakups. Right now, the Bulls’ secondary is too young to pose a real threat against the Huskies’ deep group of wide receivers, but they do have talent in this area.

Special Teams Grade: C

Twenty-nine-year-old senior placekicker Peter Fardon attempted eight field goals and made only half of them, struggling with kicks that have been over 30 yards or longer.

Senior punter Jacob Schum averages 41 yards per punt and has landed seven punts inside the 20 yard line.

Senior wide receiver Terrell Jackson will handle both punt and kick returns and was an All-MAC selection at punt returner last year.

However, his average is only 6.6 yards per punt return without any scores this season.