Wanna go clubbing?

By Ed Rietveld

Division I athletes are not the only ones who play sports at NIU.

There are also 16 club teams that run through NIU.

For a club sport to get started, students are required to fill out a Student Association recognition packet. This allows a potential group to become SA-recognized while also being a candidate to receive funding from the SA.

A club needs to have a faculty advisor, at least two officers, a president and a treasurer designated. A club also needs to have a constitution, mission statement and bylaws to be submitted to the SA as well.

“The Student Association places the club on their agenda for their next Student Association meeting, and they vote on the club if they think the club will be beneficial to the NIU campus as a whole,” said Rhonda Hampton, Assistant Director of Intramural Sports and Club Sports .

The amount of money a club receives is dependent on different factors.

“For example, the Ice Hockey Club, they have more of a need than a Martial Arts Club, who doesn’t have facility rentals,” Hampton said. “They don’t have as much equipment to purchase. [The Martial Arts club’s] uniforms could be a little bit cheaper,” Hampton said.

Ian Kalanges, NIU ice hockey club general manager, said adding a second team changed how the club operates.

“We weren’t sure if the second team would be up and running this season,” Kalanges said. “That second team fully financially supports itself through player contributions, sponsorships, gate sales and apparel sales.”

The amount of money a club receives changes every year.

“You set up a meeting with a subcommittee and you get to go in for a 10-to-15-minute explanation of your budget with them” said NIU Lacrosse President David Jasper. “In the spring, towards the end of the year, they release your information to you.”

Ryan Dertinger, NIU men’s rugby vice president, said the best way to keep a club running is by creating events that can bring in financial supplements.

“The best way to get more funding is to show that your club can be sufficient by organizing fundraisers and trying to bring in supplemental income on your own,” Dertinger said. “When the SA sees that you’re trying to put in the effort, then they’ll put in the effort.”