SA Senate meeting mandatory for prospective Senators

Student Association Elections Commissioner Robert Lausch speaks to students about running for the SA Senate at Tuesday’s informational meeting. Candidates must have their election packets in by Friday and campaigning will begin Sept. 14.

By Felix Sarver

For students interested in campus politics, there’s still time to get involved.

The Student Association will host a second candidate meeting for prospective SA Senators at 7 p.m. tonight in the Campus Life Building Suite 180. The meeting is mandatory for any student interested in running in the upcoming election.

The first candidate meeting, held Tuesday in the Holmes Student Center Heritage Room, outlined what potential Senators can expect from the process. Election Commissioner Robert Lausch and Senate Speaker Austin Quick explained election policies, deadlines and campaign rules to attendees.

The people who attended the meeting were given an election packet to complete and return to the SA office by 4 p.m. Friday. The Senate election will begin Sept. 14.

Junior management major Eli MacKenzie, who attended Tuesday’s meeting, said he plans to run for SA Senate because he feels he can provide leadership.

“I know there are some committees I would like to be on,” Mackenzie said. “That’s why I’m here at this meeting.”

In order to be on the election ballot, candidates must be an NIU student with at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA and cannot be under punishment for academic or criminal misconduct.

Candidates must obey any other rules and procedures set out by the SA Constitution, bylaws and election policies.

Candidates must also run in the district in which they live. As outlined by the SA, NIU is divided into five districts.

Senior business major Kyle Keegan said he would like to be on the mass transit committee because he feels he can improve parking on campus.

“It is hard to find parking on campus, especially if you are commuting,” Keegan said. “Sometimes, you have to plan your day around it.”

Quick said he’s looking forward to the election.

“I’m looking forward to more involvement and not going about things through loyalty lines,” Quick said.