Affordable TransVAC bus service offers 50 cent rides, brings students to Sycamore

By Shelby Devitt

Students complaining there is nothing to do in DeKalb, rejoice!

There is another option: Sycamore. And if you don’t have a ride, there’s a solution for that as well.

TransVAC, a transportation service of the Voluntary Action Center, offers an affordable bus service with a route to downtown Sycamore.

The Voluntary Action Center, 1606 Bethany Road in Sycamore, has offered services like meals and transportation to area seniors and persons with disabilities since 1974 in DeKalb County. Students can also make use of their services with TransVAC, said VAC executive director Tom Zucker.

“Our transportation services are available to anyone, including NIU students,” Zucker said.

TransVAC is a local bus service with two flexible routes in DeKalb and Sycamore, with transfer points along Route 23. The green line runs through DeKalb, and the blue line runs mainly through Sycamore.

Zucker said a flexible route means riders can request to be dropped off anywhere in the area, even if it is not on the scheduled route.

“There are a number of stops that are shared with the Huskie Bus line,” Zucker said.

Some of these stops are marked with a sign designating green or blue line, but the best way to know what these stops are is to consult a map, Zucker said. Commonly shared stops include WalMart and Target.

Zucker said the TransVAC operates from 7 a.m. and ending at 9 p.m. Monday through Friday in one hour loops. Seniors and persons with disabilities can ride for free, but students must pay 50 cents. Transferring from the green to blue line is free, however.

Sycamore business owners hope awareness of this service will encourage more students to visit downtown Sycamore.

“I’m in favor of anyone coming downtown, especially the students,” said Rich Para, owner of Sweet Earth Gifts, Jewelry, Engraving & Beads, 341 W. State Street in Sycamore. “They have needs like anyone else does. They tend to be fairly trendy, and we carry quite a bit of trendy jewelry.”

Some students don’t know what they’re missing when it comes to Sycamore, but Sycamore businesses feel as though they are missing out on the students, said David Butts, owner of Family Health Center, 1170 Dekalb Ave. Suite 111 in Sycamore.

“I think local businesses would appreciate getting people into town,” Butts said.

While the Huskie Bus service has a line down Route 23 toward Sycamore, many students aren’t able to fully explore the area since the Huskie Bus doesn’t go any farther than Kishwaukee Community Hospital. With TransVAC, students can take advantage of new places to shop, eat and hang out.

“We welcome NIU students,” Zucker said. “We offer good access to downtown Sycamore and the Sycamore Road corridor. It’s affordable and easy to do.”