New Mexican restaurant one step closer to liquor license

By Megan Healy

The DeKalb liquor commission gave Fiesta Cancun a recommendation for an E-class liquor license at a meeting Tuesday evening, which is the first step in obtaining a liquor license.

The E-class liquor license Fiesta Cancun, 1262 W. Lincoln Highway, is applying for has specifications that must be met in order for the restaurant to open and remain open.

For an E-class liquor license, the restaurant must have at least 60 percent of its sales in a fiscal year come from food and non-alcoholic beverages. The remaining 40 percent is allowance for alcoholic beverages, according to chapter 38 of Dekalb’s Municipal Code.

“It doesn’t look like the restaurants I’ve been in lately have been selling at least a 60 to 40 ratio,” said liquor commissioner Tim Lehan.

There is a yearly audit that restaurants with an E-class liquor license must complete to prove they are within the 60 percent food-sales requirement, according to chapter 38 of Dekalb’s Municipal Code.

Fiesta Cancun has six liquor licenses for several different locations including Rockford, Freeport and Dixon.

The E-class liquor license only permits liquor to be sold alongside food, said DeKalb Mayor Kris Povlsen.

The new Mexican restaurant will have conservative business hours.

Fiesta Cancun and will be open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

Few concerns arose at the meeting regarding the eligibility of Fiesta Cancun for a liquor license.

“Be careful, Taco Bell is right across the street,” said liquor commissioner Stephen Clark. “That is a small area with a triangle of restaurants that sell liquor. So after a Huskie game there might be an issue, but since the restaurant hours are reasonable it probably will not be an issue.”

The DeKalb liquor commission voted 4-0 in a review of the liquor application of Fiesta Cancun Mexican restaurant to move the application onto the City Council for a second reading and an official vote on approving Fiesta Cancun’s E-liquor license.