Guest Column: The Three Rs: Focusing on Reduce!

By Melissa Burlingame

Melissa Burlingame

Program Coordinator of Environmental Studies

After getting settled in from the first week of classes, some students may be wondering what can be done to support the Three Rs: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. The possibilities to practice reducing waste production are endless and can be applied in all areas of life.

In the residence halls, electricity use can be reduced by unplugging computers, TVs, cell phones, and other electronics when not in use. Most electronic devices draw phantom power when not in use, which can be up to 40% of the power it takes to run the device when on. Reduce water waste by taking shorter showers and turning off the water when washing (turn it back on to rinse off).

Apartment dwellers can set the heating and cooling temperatures so that less energy is used (just a couple of degrees makes a big difference). Use less energy by washing clothes in cold water, which also extends the life of the fabric. Cleaning the cooling coils on the back of the refrigerator will also reduce the amount of electricity used.

Food for thought: reducing your food waste might also help shed a pound or two. Choose foods at the grocery store that are grown locally (reduces fuel use) or use less packaging. Bottled water should only be purchased for emergency situations; purchase a reusable water bottle instead-if you like to show your Huskie pride, there are some great bottles available at the student bookstores.

In the cafeteria, reduce water consumption and waste by not using a tray. It takes roughly 2 gallons of water to wash one tray. As a side note for those students conscious of avoiding the “freshman 15”, not using a tray also reduces the amount of food consumed.

The computer labs are a great place to practice using the third R. The obvious way to reduce waste is to only print documents that are absolutely needed. When it is necessary to print, using the economy mode for printing will reduce the amount of toner used. To decrease the amount of paper used for any given document, print using the 2-sided setting and two pages per sheet setting whenever possible.

These small steps will add up; they’re easy to do and will make a great difference if practiced every day. Large cultural changes usually come in small increments, “evolution not revolution.” On Friday, September 2nd, an international meeting will be hosted at NIU that will address ways in which cultures around the world embrace nature and the environment. The meeting will feature a series of public presentations that will be good to attend, especially for those readers ready to move beyond individual action.

More information:

Cultural Models of Nature and the Environment: Self, Space, and Causality

September 2, 2011 (morning sessions only)

HSC University Suite