NIU offers employment and recruiting for students

By Dave Gong

Students seeking both on-campus and off-campus employment have several resources at their disposal.

Steve Cunningham, vice president of Administration and Human Resources , said the most efficient way to search for and apply for on-campus employment is through the Human Resources website . “The Student Employment Office works with departments on campus to advertise vacancies,” Cunningham said. “Students can go to the Human Resource Services website, create an online application and apply for job opportunities that interest them.”

Cunningham said while the Student Employment Office encourages all departments at NIU to use their website, some departments accept paper applications.

“Students who are interested in applying for jobs on campus are encouraged to utilize the online application system available under Student Employment on the Human Resource Services website,” Cunningham said.

The online system allows students to directly apply for positions in which they are interested and allows departments to directly communicate with applicants, Cunningham said.

Senior history major Zach Dyrda said he applied to nearly every campus job available before eventually being hired at Target.

“I was told to use the campus website,” Dyrda said. “But any time you would look, they were old or outdated.”

Dyrda was never contacted by campus employers regarding his application, “not even an email declining me or my résumé,” he said.

NIU Career Services, Campus Life Building, room 220, also offers resources for students looking for off-campus employment and internships through the Victor eRecruiting website . Victor eRecruiting also provides resources for recent graduates and alumni looking for work. According to the Career Services website , alumni may use Victor eRecruiting in order to apply for jobs after graduation, submit and publish résumés for employers, and contact employers who have listed job opportunities.

Cunningham said some of the most popular student employment opportunities are located at the University Library, Campus Recreation, Housing & Dining, the Holmes Student Center and at the Convocation Center.

“Students tend to look for positions that fit their class schedule and some prefer jobs that have a connection to their major or their prior employment experience,” Cunningham said.

Career Services also offers career counseling and other resources, such as résumé preparation and practice interviews for interested students .

Cunningham said students must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for campus employment. Students must carry at least six credit hours, must be in good academic standing and must be eligible to work in the United States. Student employees are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the semester and are allowed to work full-time during academic breaks.