Budget priorities statement approved by University Council

By Candice Beasley

The Resources, Space and Budget committee statement of budget priorities was approved by the University Council on Wednesday afternoon during its final meeting for the semester.

University Council Co-Chair Laurie Elish-Piper presented the budget priorities to the council on what the members would like to see the university address in the future.

“If the state does not come through with the money that’s owed to us, the situation may change, and we may experience more significant cuts, if that money is not forthcoming,” Elish-Piper said.

She said that on the behalf of the committee, she thanks the NIU administration for their leadership during the current budget crisis.

The council also approved the Article 11 and the Student Conduct Board and Community Standards and Student Conduct Advisory Board.

Article 11 is in regards to the grievance procedures for faculty and staff. The document is a revision of the proper procedure and process faculty and staff should follow to support the mission in an effective, efficient and ethical manner.

The Student Conduct Board and Community Standards and Student Conduct Advisory Board revisions were approved and agreed that no changes could be made unless the board approved. The student conduct board makes sure all academic and non-academic incidents are handled accordingly. Along with faculty and staff, 30 students, appointed by the Student Association, serve on the board.