Study Space Series: Cafés stir the brain

Laura Ewert, anthropology graduate student, works on class work at the House Cafe Wednesday night

By Kyla Gardner

If you’re losing steam in the last few weeks of the semester, you may just need a new study location and a healthy dose of caffeine. Follow the Northern Star through its weekly installment of the best places to study on campus and around DeKalb.

Several cafes in DeKalb said they see an influx of students around finals week. A study space with comfortable seats, a relaxed environment and an endless stream of caffeine is one of the best places to hunker down with textbooks and notes.

The House Café, 263 E. Lincoln Highway, not only offers a comfortable place to study and eat, but live entertainment seven nights a week.

Owner Jan Pascolini said the environment in the House Café is laid back.

“The atmosphere is really different, it’s not corporate,” she said. “People feel comfortable, it’s a good meeting spot.”

Pascolini said the House often gets regulars who come in to study.

Joslyn Holtz, café barista at Starbucks, 2439 Sycamore Road, said a lot of students like to do group work in the cafe in Barnes and Noble.

“It’s a quiet atmosphere: there’s no TV around, there’s light music playing,” Holtz said. “It’s a comfortable atmosphere where people can’t be distracted by other things going on around them.”

Holtz also said it’s nice to study at the Starbucks in Barnes and Noble because they offer meals, snacks and desserts, so studiers don’t have to leave throughout the day.

Manager Linda Butz said the Chesapeake Bagel Bakery, 122 S. First St., gets a lot of studiers during finals week.

In addition to coffee, the bakery offers sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches, pastries and other drinks.

Butz said it is a quiet place to concentrate.

“It’s nice and big to have plenty of place to sit and visit and not have to hurry,” Butz said.

Many other coffee shops around DeKalb offer places to sit with like-minded studiers and to grab a bite to eat during study breaks.