HSC lounge piano provides creative outlet for students

The+piano+on+the+main+floor+of+the+Holmes+Student+Center+occasionally+serves+as+a+distraction+for+students+studying%2C+as+well+as+the+hotel+workers.+

The piano on the main floor of the Holmes Student Center occasionally serves as a distraction for students studying, as well as the hotel workers.

By Candice Beasley

DeKALB | Students may have wondered why the Holmes Student Center has a piano in the lounge.

For 10 years, the piano has been sitting in the same spot; located in the lounge at the Holmes Student Center. “It’s used in various places in the building and the gallery lounge is a good spot to store it,” said Norm Jenkins, associate director of the Holmes Student Center.

All NIU students are welcome to play on it as long as it’s “played responsibly,” Jenkins said.

While creative students might relish the opportunity to flex their musical muscles, the piano has proven to be the bane of some people’s existence.

“That’s probably the most annoying thing in the world,” said Keisha Williams, front desk clerk for the Holmes Student Center Hotel.

Williams said sometimes the music can be disruptive because it hinders their ability to run the business effectively.

For example, answering the phone or answering questions needed by guests. She said a lot of times students who play on the piano either play for hours or sing loudly. Williams said there used to be a sign on the piano that had a 15-minute playing limit.

“I’m not sure why the policy was removed,” Williams said.

Occasionally, they are faced with complaints and if a person’s playing becomes disruptive, they will be asked to stop or quiet down, Jenkins said.

“We receive complaints mostly if they play for an extended amount of time or if they a singing too loud,” said Katie Rios, guest services officer for building security.

Francis Quesea, sophomore family and child studies major, said he likes the piano and occasionally plays it himself. He said he doesn’t like when people stop in the middle of a song and start a new one.

Megan Oliveros, junior elementary education major, said she finds it to be relaxing.

But for others, the noise can be a little much, especially with finals around the corner.

“It gets a little loud when I’m trying to do my homework,” said freshman psychology major Lauren Boddy. “Sometimes I put on my iPod, and it’s even louder than that.”