Campus blotter for March 28

By Northern Star staff

The following was taken directly from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proved guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at niu.edu/PublicSafety.

Feb. 15

At 8:17 p.m., officers were dispatched to investigate the odor of cannabis from a room at Douglas Hall. The resident allowed voluntary entry and then a consent search of the room revealed a smoking device that contained burnt cannabis residue. Robert Shockley, 19, of Crystal Lake, received a referral to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for possession of cannabis 30 grams and under and was later arrested on a warrant for other criminal offenses.

Feb. 26

At 1:03 a.m., a student was found to have unlawfully consumed alcohol. Jessica Kalinski, 19, of Brookfield, was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct. Kalinski was later arrested on a warrant arising from the illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor.

March 1

At 8:52 p.m., a student reported his wallet was stolen from the Chick Evans Fieldhouse on Feb. 28. This case is pending investigation.

Tuesday

At 11:49 a.m., a report was received on a theft that occurred at Graham Hall. This case is pending investigation.

At 3 p.m., a reported theft of a credit card was proved unfounded.

Wednesday

At 8:23 p.m., a theft of a package was reported that occurred at Grant North. Upon investigation, it was discovered that a postal package was routed wrongly due to an incorrect address. It was returned to the owner, making this case unfounded.

At 8:29 p.m., a vehicle traveling southbound on Annie Glidden Road was stopped for having no headlights. The driver agreed to a consent search of the vehicle, which revealed a bag containing suspect cannabis and drug equipment. Jorge Ortega, 22, of Stickney, claimed ownership and was arrested for possession of cannabis 30 grams and under and possession of drug equipment.

At 9:26 p.m., several people in Douglas Hall were found to be illegally in possession of alcohol and received referrals to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct.

Thursday

At 12:26 a.m., an officer approached a suspicious vehicle in Lot O and questioned the occupants, all of who admitted to smoking marijuana. A bag containing suspect cannabis was observed and Joseph Bourassa, 19, of Naperville, claimed ownership. He was arrested for possession of cannabis 30 grams and under.

At 3:37 a.m., an officer on patrol made an investigative stop on a vehicle with the strong odor of burnt cannabis in its wake. The driver and occupant both admitted to smoking but no contraband was found. Michael Richardson, 18, of Chicago, smelled strongly of alcohol and was arrested for illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 11:26 a.m., a report was received on a vehicle that sustained a broken mirror and two dents in the hood while it was parked in Lot O from March 20 at 8 p.m. to when the owner returned on Thursday and discovered the damage. Pending any leads, this case is administratively closed.

At 9:32 p.m., a student using the Campus Recreation Center placed his items into a locker and found several items missing when he returned to reclaim them. This case is pending investigation.

At 10:19 p.m., an officer was dispatched to Douglas Hall to investigate the odor of cannabis from a particular room. Justin Ploehonki, 19, of Palos Heights, was arrested for possession of cannabis 30 grams and under and possession of drug equipment.

Saturday

At 12:22 a.m., several students were found to have unlawfully consumed alcohol in Lot O. All students were referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal possession of alcohol by a minor.

At 12:36 a.m., two students were found to have unlawfully consumed alcohol in Douglas Hall. Both students were referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor.

At 1:03 a.m., a traffic stop was conducted on a vehicle for running a stop sign. The driver was found unlawfully in possession of cannabis. Chawntaya Johnson, 19, of Chicago, was placed under arrest and was transported to the NIU Police Department. She was booked and later released after posting bond.

At 3:56 a.m., a student was found to have unlawfully consumed alcohol at the Stevenson Complex. The student was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct.

At 2:07 p.m., the theft of a lost or mislaid cell phone was reported at Grant North. This case is open pending further investigation.