Comedy Night to make DeKalb school funding a laughing matter

By Aurora Schnorr

DeKALB | A laugh a day keeps the budget crisis away?

This Friday night, the DeKalb Education Foundation is hosting its 19th annual Comedy Night at the Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St. This night of laughs is one of the foundation’s biggest fundraisers.

“The proceeds from Comedy Night will directly benefit the students of DeKalb School District #428 through grants provided by the DeKalb Education Foundation,” said Bridget Carlson, president of the DeKalb Education Foundation.

ComedySportz will press the crowd’s giggle-buttons at this year’s DEF Comedy Night. ComedySportz has been running for over 20 years, but every show is something new in improvised comedy. The group splits into two teams and competes for the crowd’s laughter. The group prides themselves on family-friendly comedy.

The DEF has been providing support for DeKalb schools since it was founded in 1987. According to its website, the foundation has awarded District #428 over $400,000 in grants.

“These foundation grants have enhanced programs at virtually every public school in DeKalb, Cortland and Malta at every grade level,” Carlson said.

So what? You’re just here to get your degree at NIU, why should you care about School District #428? Carlson may have put it best: “I think NIU and DeKalb are essentially a part of one big community, and so it’s great when we can support each other.”

Whether you are a born-and-raised DeKalb resident or you just moved here to attend NIU, school budget cuts affect people all over.

“I remember at my high school they took out the French and Spanish program and replaced the Spanish class with Rosetta Stone classes,” said freshman undecided major Max Witthoeft. “It discouraged many of us, and I think greatly reduced the amount of students that would take the class.”

At 7 p.m. Friday, you can come out and support DeKalb community schools by enjoying the improvised comedy stylings of Chicago’s own ComedySportz. Tickets are only $25 and available at the Egyptian Theatre or online at www.egyptiantheatre.org. If you can’t attend but are interested in contributing to the cause, visit dekalbeducationfoundation.org.