7 dire mistakes to finding a job

By Danny Ciamprone

DeKALB | No longer do people have to worry about finding a job as long as they stay away from seven deadly mistakes.

In his book, “How to Find Work in the 21st Century,” author Ron McGowan outlined seven mistakes he believes are the most detrimental to employment seekers.

Some of the main ones include ignorance about what is on your social media page, focusing just on advertised positions and putting too much emphasis on resumes.

Cindy Henderson, executive director of Career Services, said in her experience most students at NIU wait too long to apply for jobs.

“Ideally, they should begin the first semester of their last year of school,” Henderson said. “The employers who recruit here understand that those job seekers may not project the graduation date accurately. The employers would still rather talk to those students and offer the successful candidate a position that is predicated on the degree achievement.”

NIU management professor David Wade said people make the most mistakes during the interview.

“In the interview, many people make the mistake of talking too much,” Wade said. “You need to address the issues, but don’t share too much personal information or answer questions not asked.”

Wade also stressed the importance of not only the employment seeker providing accurate information on an application, but the employer has to be honest about the job being offered.

He said often what happens is that neither party provides correct information, so the first day often turns into a culture shock.

Economics Department Chair Carl Campbell said research is key when applying to a company.

“Many people don’t know enough about a company before the interview takes place,” Campbell said. “If you don’t, it will be a strike against you.”

McGowan stated that 80 percent of jobs available are never advertised and it is up to the employment seeker to investigate options available. In addition, he stated 45 percent of applicants reviewed are rejected because of what companies find on their social media pages.

Justin Goestenkors, senior political science major, graduates in December and said he is currently working on getting a job.

“I have interned with a state representative in the St. Louis area,” Goestenkors said. “Right now I’m making sure the resume looks as good as it can be.”