Student Association allocated $2,026 in supplemental funding

By Jacqueline Evans

The Student Association allocated $2,026 in supplemental funding Sunday night.

Supporting Opportunities for Latinos was allocated $626 for a 3-3 soccer tournament on April 23. The Senate debated at length about SOL’s request, which was originally $769.

“I was expecting the debate, but $626 is fine,” said SOL President Alexander Chavez. “It helps toward our event, and we are thankful.”

The Senate initially voted to approve the Black Graduate Student Association‘s supplemental funding request of $2,850 by a vote of 15-13. After the meeting, however, Speaker of the Senate Austin Quick said the rules and procedures committee determined the vote was invalid because there was not a two-thirds majority in the vote.

BGSA will have to resubmit its request, as the request can only be amended twice. According to Appendix D, Article 2 of the Senate Manual of Information and Operating Procedures, “Secondary amendments (amendments to primary amendments) may be proposed, but no additional levels of ‘amending’ are permitted.”

BGSA said the request would have funded its trip to the National Association of Student Administrators conference in Philadelphia.

The Senate debated the amount of money to allow for BGSA, and the funds were cut down to $2,253. Senator Latonia Reynolds, however, called the question to vote to allocate full funding to BGSA.

In addition, the student literary magazine Towers was approved $1,400 of supplemental funding in order to print its annual magazine. Towers’ original SA-funded budget was cut from $6,000 to $3,054 for the 2010-11 academic year.

The Senate debated the organization’s ability to raise enough money to fill its deficit, but co-editor Alisa Smith-Riel said they raised $632.

The Senate then agreed Towers should receive its requested amount because its budget was cut last year.

“We’re very thankful to receive funding and get Towers printed,” Smith-Riel said.

The Senate approved the committee assignments which confirm senators to serve as a voting member of the committee to which they have been appointed.

The Senate also recognized the group Business Administration Student Association and appointed Kevin Behrendt, Sarah Theodore-Young, Derek Maple and Terrance Jefferson senators to fill the remaining open seats.