Graduate Prep Seminar offers advice for grad school

By Jacqueline Evans

DeKalb | The Engaged Learning Department will host the Graduate Prep Seminar from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Yordon Centerin the McCareins classroom.

The seminar is free for all attendees and those who register before Wednesday will receive a free lunch.

The program will feature speakers who will explain the graduate school application process, how to find the right graduate or professional program, as well as recent changes to the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).

The speakers will also go over how to create a graduate school profile, ask for letters of recommendation, and how to write a personal statement.

There will also be a panel discussion featuring NIU graduate program representatives.

“Representatives from six of the most popular graduate programs at NIU will cover the steps that go into preparing a graduate school application and how to find graduate or teaching assistantships,” said Rachel Tripodi, Engaged Learning graduate assistant.

Tripodi encourages students who are interested in graduate school to attend.

“By attending the event, students will learn the expectations of the graduate school application process, which will give them an edge when applying for post-baccalaureate degrees,” Tripodi said.

Some NIU students plan to attend the seminar to get ready to apply to graduate school.

“I’m pretty excited about it because I want to go to grad school but I don’t know anything about how to start the process,” said Salita Brown, junior communications major. “Hopefully Saturday will be helpful,”

Sophomore undeclared major Megan Wilson said she wasn’t aware of the seminar but said she is thinking about going to grad school and might attend.