SA looks for potential candidates to fill executive positions

By Jacqueline Evans

DeKALB | Fifteen potential candidates came out for the Student Association‘s candidates meeting Monday.

The meeting was mandatory for all of those interested in running for an executive position for the 2011-12 academic year.

The meeting provided information folders that outlines procedures for the election as well as necessary paperwork to run on the ballot.

To run for an executive position, candidates must attend at least one informational meeting, be currently enrolled in 12 credit hours for undergraduates and nine for graduate students.

Candidates must have at least a 2.0 grade point average, and cannot be on any type of probation for academic or criminal misconduct. All parties interested must also get at least 400 signatures from fee-paying students. Those running for the student trustee position must have a 2.5 GPA.

The meeting went also over rules and procedures in hopes to avoid violations of the bylaws.

“We have people violate the bylaws every year so we go over it as thoroughly as possible to avoid that from happening,” said elections commissioner Matthew Venaas.

Venaas stressed the importance of the correct spelling of names, fully completed signature forms, filling out all paperwork completely and correctly, as well as reading the election bylaws.

“Any mistake regarding paperwork or signatures can jeopardize candidates ability to run for office,” Venaas said. “Candidates will be held fully responsible for any misconduct regarding campaigning even if they did not personally do it themselves.”

The SA will host another meeting today. This is the last meeting the SA will hold and it is required for those who did not attend the first meeting.

Applications for executive elections are due at 4 p.m. on Friday.