NIU Dorm Life: Living in Neptune

By Leah Spagnoli

With room self selection under way, the Northern Star will be looking at what each residence hall has to offer. Check out the next several issues to read about what hall will fit you best.

Neptune Hall is located in the center of campus, closest to the Holmes Student Center. This hall is unique because it is split up into three separate buildings: North, East and West.

“I live in Neptune West and love it,” said Ariel Pozzi, freshman family and consumer sciences major. “I really like the location of it because it’s basically in the center of campus.”

Neptune is unique in another way. This hall is equipped with one Living Learning Community. The Fine Arts House occupies Neptune North.

In addition to the Fine Arts House, Neptune Central is home to Trident-Grab and Go and All-You-Care-to-Eat. Neptune students have to opportunity to display their art projects in the All-You-Care-to-Eat dining area as well.

Other in-hall amenities include a computer lab, wireless networks in all floor lounges, and laundry. In the winter months students are encouraged to keep warm in the fireside lounge, said Kate Schaab, interim assistant director for Marketing & Public Relations for Housing & Dining.

In the warmer weather students are welcome to play volleyball in the courts in between North and East.

Housing & Dining Residential Administration is located in Neptune East as well as the Work Request office.

The Fine Arts House is tied into the College of Visual and Performing Arts. This program encourages students to live with their peers from the Schools of Art, Music, Theatre and Dance.

Guest artists and faculty members are brought in to interact with the students at dinners, receptions, informal discussions, seminars and performances. Highlights of the program include an art gallery, art studio, and dance studio. Students are also able to use a computer lab featuring color printing and software for visual arts students. In order to live in the house, students must be a music, theater, dance or art major.

“The location is prime for art student lugging their portfolios to the art building,” Schaab said. “It’s closer to campus, the library and academic classrooms.”