Neptune gets dodgy

Jerry+Burnes+%7C+Northern+Star+file+photo%0ASara+Rowe%2C+sophomore+biology+major%2C+stares+down+a+Neptune+North+opponent+Tuesday+night+at+the+Chick+Evans+Field+House.+

Jerry Burnes | Northern Star file photo Sara Rowe, sophomore biology major, stares down a Neptune North opponent Tuesday night at the Chick Evans Field House.

By Christopher Gibbs

Hall against hall, resident against community advisor. Residents from Neptune Hall went up against each other Tuesday night in a heated game of dodgeball.

Neptune Hall Director Marlon Haywood is one of the members who planned the event, held at the Chick Evans Fieldhouse, to get people to take a break from classes and to get active this semester.

“It’s a lot of fun after you’re in class all day and you just go out and have fun,” said Laura Friedlein, freshmen elementary education major. “I used to play all the time, like in gym class and everything. It was like an every other day recurrence.”

Senior communications major Ian Mendez said it’s a good way to have fun and take out frustrations.

“We wanted a way to involve the residents and have some fun with them and help to be a part of the community,” Mendez said. “There are some residents who don’t like there CAs as much so they have a chance to take out their aggression on CAs and visa versa. We can do it in a positive matter.”

The consul made two teams based on sides of the residence hall. Neptune North played against a mix of East and West. Marlon and various community advisors acted as referees and sometimes joined in.

Matt McDonald, freshman history education major, said Neptune North had the most aggressive players.

“There was a lot of people who came out, I was glad to see it,” Haywood said. “We plan to continue this as an every other week event. So hopefully it just grows and grows and gets bigger.”