Snow country for old men

By Allyson Martin and Alex Fiore

Snow-mania was topped off Wednesday night with a “Massive Snowball Fight.”

Byron Anderson created a Facebook event for the fight with help from his friends. He said the idea was spontaneous, and that he did not expect the response the group page got.

“[It was] just an idea out of nowhere, I honestly didn’t expect a lot of people to show up like they did,” Anderson said.

Many turned out for the wintertime battle and pictures and videos of the fight littered Facebook profiles.

The group page outlined the perimeters of the fight. Students from Stevenson, Grant and Neptune dorms were to be on one team and were instructed to wear red. Students from Lincoln, Douglas, Northern View and off-campus students were told to wear black.

Anderson commented that he tried to make the teams as even as possible, and listened to feedback from those part of the online group.

“I was thinking about what would be fun and what would actually be fair,” he said. “[I] posted on the [group page] wall [asking] if they felt the teams were fair.”

Red team member Kyle Hillshafer, a freshman undecided major, was surprised at the amount of people who showed up.

“It’s a classic. I mean, it’s a snowball fight,” Hillshafer said. “I didn’t expect this, I came here with my floor mates to have some fun.”

Hillshafer found out about the event via Facebook.

Juniors Angela Witte and Christina Raffaele came to throw snow for the black team.

“Were having fun, but it will get even better the more people who show up,” Witte said during the fight, who is an illustration major.

Raffaele, a corporate communication major said she was really excited to get into the fight and throw a few snowballs.

Anderson said about 300 people participated, with students coming and going whenever they got too cold. He said that the black team was definitely the winner of the game.

Other students chose to spend the class-free time differently. Some students used the extra time to catch up on some housekeeping.

“I cleaned my room because it was a disaster area,” said freshman accounting major Brian Reynolds.

Many students used their day off to catch up on some much-needed rest and relaxation.

“I have been relaxing in my room, not doing homework,” said freshman finance major John Wallace with a laugh.

Julie Brown, freshman family and child studies major, said she used her day off to take a nap.

Of course, some students used the rare opportunity to catch up on their schoolwork.

“I chilled out and did some studying…then I’m going to play in the snow,” said freshman psychology major Shaun McCabe.

McCabe wasn’t the only one looking for some traditional winter fun.

“I’m building a snowman, having a snowball fight and drinking hot chocolate,” said freshman nursing major Samantha Garbacz.