Huskie Briefs: February 22

By Andrew Singer

Men’s golf competing in Arizona tournament to kick off season

Head coach Tom Porten and the NIU men’s golf team traveled west yesterday to kick off the spring 2011 season at the Washington State Snowman Invitational in Chandler, Ariz.

Fourteen teams were invited

This spring is the last chance for seniors Jeff Dick, Andrew Frame and Tim Kay to capture a MAC Title for NIU. Dick comes into the spring with the most momentum.

The Texan finished the fall season with four consecutive top-20 finishes, which included a 68 in the first round of the Bearcat Invitational.

Sophomore Bryce Emory has steadily improved since his arrival in 2009. His stroke average has fallen from 78.3 in 2009-10 to 76.6 this fall.

Completing the Huskies’ starting five, freshman Shawn Foley comes into the spring following a productive fall season that culminated with a tenth-place tie at the Cardinal Collegiate.

Wicinski named Freshman of the Year by CVU

Collegiate Volleyball Update (CVU.com) named NIU volleyball outside hitter Lauren Wicinski its freshman of the year on Friday.

The first high school All-American to accept a scholarship to play for the NIU volleyball team, Wicinski impressed throughout her freshman season, bringing energy to the Huskies’ attack and leading NIU to a 27-8 overall record, going 11-5 in the MAC..

The Geneva, Ill. native became the first player to ever win both the MAC freshman of the year and MAC player of the year awards in the same season.

Wicinski was also named MAC West Offensive Player of the Week an NIU record five times over the course of the 2010 season.

In helping her team to its best finish since the 2001 season, Wicinski ranked fifth in the nation in points scored, sixth in kills, and tenth in aces.

Women’s hoops hits the road to take on Western Michigan

Coming off a disappointing loss to Eastern Michigan, the NIU women’s basketball team hits the road to take on Western Michigan in Kalamazoo, Mich. on Tuesday night. The Huskies will be looking to get back to the form shown against Central Michigan last Wednesday night.

NIU held CMU to a season-low 45 points in the 14-point win. A win over the Broncos is critical, if NIU has any hopes of hosting a first-round MAC Tournament game.

NIU has played WMU more than any other team with the series dating back to 1969. The Broncos hold a 26-17 advantage over the Huskies all-time.

Marke Freeman will be looking to build on a successful career. Currently the senior is only the third player in NIU history to average at least 14 points, four rebounds, and three assists per game over the course of a career.