Bowling alleys not spared by economy

Junior+exercise+science+major+Ryne+Stocks+rolls+a+spare+during+a+KNPE+117+class+at+the+Husky+Den+in+November.+

Junior exercise science major Ryne Stocks rolls a spare during a KNPE 117 class at the Husky Den in November.

By Heather Skrip

For the past couple of years, there has been much discussion on how the country’s economy affects the lives of everyday people. Certain luxuries have now become “treats,” or simply don’t get done as much as they used to.

Bowling is one of those activities.

Needless to say, DeKalb is not the only area seeing a decrease in bowling attendance. What may have been a once-a-week social event may now be reserved for special occasions.

Two different bowling alleys, Mardi Gras Lanes, 1730 Sycamore Road, and Four Seasons Sports at 1745 DeKalb Ave. in Sycamore, have both seen a decrease in attendance.

“[Attendance has] been down a little bit,” said Brian Kolberg, general manager of Mardi Gras Lanes.

“Our league bowling is steady, but open bowling is down-which we mainly contribute to the economy,” said Marsha Royalty, owner of Four Seasons Sports.

Both businesses have a daunting task: attract customers in a tough economic climate. The already-tight budget of college students–and non-students alike–only further complicates things.

The Huskie Den, located in the Holmes Student Center, attracts customers through special deals.

“[Attendance] has been good, especially on Mondays because we have dollar days,” Chris Riddle, manager of Huskie Den, said.

Riddle attributes much of the Den’s success to the fact that bowling classes take place there, so they gain exposure. Roughly 1,000 students take bowling classes a year, Riddle said.

Other alleys, however, are forced to make these adaptations without the built-in clientele that gives Huskie Den its boost in business.

Mardi Gras Lanes has special offers for NIU students and employees. Northern Collegiate Night allows anyone with an NIU ID or proof of employment to bowl two hours for $5, including the cost of shoe rental. The offer is good from open to close every Thursday, as long as lanes are available. Normally, this would have cost $10.95, Kolberg said.

In Sycamore, Four Seasons Sports has seen a substantial decline in their $1 bowling night on Tuesdays, Royalty said.

They also are responding to consumer demand for more specials, while making more coupons available.

“We have more nights where we’re running specials,” Royalty said. “We just keep trying different specials and doing them different nights and times.”

Royalty, however, is not convinced that the sole reason for a decrease in bowling attendance is the economy.

“I guess it’s not only the economy-there are just so many options available [including] so many home-based games,” Royalty said.

She believes this is a result of things like social networking and video games, where there is not as much face-to-face socializing, which in turn causes a decrease in outside group activities such as bowling.

Whatever the reason for the decline, it is obvious that such a phenomenon is taking place. Bowling alleys locally are taking a proactive stance.

“What we’re trying to offer is something really cheap and affordable,” Kolberg said.