Faceoff: NCAA forcing student-athletes to stay

By Mike Romor and Andrew Singer

Some wonder if it’s time for the NCAA to take notice and force basketball student athletes to be out of high school for longer than one year before entering the NBA. Sports writers Mike Romor and Andrew Singer take center stage to debate the controversial issue.

Mike Romor: Many athletes that make it to the professional level of their sport seem to treat college as a bump in the road on their path to their future millions. While some of these athletes are able to make the transition from one year in college to the professional stage, many end up realizing the hard way that no matter how quickly they make their millions, it is just as easy to lose it all. There’s no question that student-athletes should not be allowed into a professional league without the opportunity to mature as a person.

Andrew Singer: If someone is waving a few million dollars in front of your face, you’re going to take it, regardless of whether those millions are coming from a job in athletics or in the business world. Forcing a student-athlete to stay in school longer would accomplish nothing.

MR: It would only be beneficial for student-athletes to be the subject of required schooling. It would not help them on the court, but it could definitely help them off the court. Business and financial courses should be mandatory for any student before he is qualified to enter a draft.

AS: Requiring financial courses for future millionaires is like giving an hour-long tutorial to a child at Halloween about not eating too much candy. All any kid is thinking about on All Hallows Eve is how much candy they can eat before puking the rainbow. It’s the same thing with student-athletes. All the student-athletes would be thinking about throughout the course is how he can’t wait to buy everyone in his entourage a car after he signs on the dotted line.

MR: No matter how pointless it may seem there is the chance that at least one of the future millionaires would learn a thing or two in school. There has to be something done before they are exposed to the fame and money, and it seems to make a lot of sense for the student-athletes to at least hear about the proper way to financially handle themselves.

AS: Is it feasible, though, to force student-athletes to take financial courses and attend school longer than one year? One of the biggest jokes in our country is that there are people out there that believe sending an athlete to school for longer than one year is racist. A race card is a trump card in most any game in this country. The cries of foul play would make it difficult to pass any potential academic requirements.

MR: Yes, it is completely feasible. How many athletes must lose almost their entire fortune before leagues start stepping in or the NCAA gets involved? Maybe a few extra courses in college could help these athletes realize they can’t go out with 50 people everywhere they go and buy 20 cars without severe repercussions in the long run. Maybe some courses could help these athletes realize that paychecks usually stop coming after 10 to 15 years of playing a sport, so they must learn to budget what they make for the long run.

AS: To be completely honest with you, Mike, if I just signed a $20 million contract, I would have bought you a car just for saying good morning. So, let’s stop passing judgements.