Male student robbed at gunpoint

By John Bachmann

A male student claims to have been robbed at gunpoint Wednesday night near Welsh Park.

The student who spoke with the Northern Star requested anonymity.

At about 11 p.m., after the student left his house near Russell Road and Greenbrier Road, the student noticed two males walking behind him.

“Once they got too close, I proceeded to turn around and confront them,” the student said.

He described the suspects as two black males, between the ages of 18 to 23, wearing dark hoodies.

The student said that when he turned around, he noticed one of the men had a gun.

He said one of the men asked, “What do you got? Give me the money.”

The student said prior to when he first noticed the two men, he had a pocket knife on him like he always does and was prepared to use it if he had to.

The student said he had a knife with him, but didn’t take it out.

“When I saw the gun I didn’t feel it was worth it,” he said. “I handed them the money, which was only about $7.”

In the DeKalb Police Department blotter entry, it states the student flagged down a DeKalb Police officer who was currently patrolling the area and told them of the incident.

The student said that since the incident, he doesn’t feel any less safe walking alone.

“Being a bigger guy, it really doesn’t faze me,” he said. “I’m always ready for any unsafe encounters.”

An investigation was started, according to the blotter entry.

Calls to the DeKalb Police Department were not immediately returned.

On Nov. 10, it was reported that a pizza delivery driver was robbed by gunpoint by two men at Suburban Apartments, 1305 N. Annie Glidden Road.