DeKalb: Still safe, still beautiful after tragedy

By Aaron Brooks

I wish I had the time to gather the appropriate statistics for this counterpoint. Although with my trip to D.C. and upcoming tests I do not have the time.

I wish I could show you that the student-to-officer ratio at NIU is on par with other state universities, and that the crime rate is equal as well.

And I wish I could present to you the success rate of the DeKalb Police Department on homicide, or any crime.

As much as we wish that we could do all that is necessary to live in a perfect society; that task, however, is sometimes impossible.

It is reasonable that some students may be fearful for their safety given the homicide investigation of Antinette “Toni” Keller. I can understand younger students’ apprehension towards the community after a tragedy, but I do not understand the fear that accompanies vulnerability.

What is unreasonable about the reaction to the investigation is most of our student leaders, professors and administrators acted as a conduit of fear, instead of a calming force.

DeKalb and NIU are safe communities. Both of which cannot judge by the pointless and pathetic actions of a very few. As long as these most important crimes are being solved at a high rate, there is nothing more we can do to protect ourselves.

We do not have any “Pre-Cogs” that can predict crime before it happens like in the movie “Minority Report.”

We cannot spend large amounts of money flooding our streets with police in the hope that it will make us safer.

And we should not live in fear.

The one thing that I am fearful for is that students will isolate themselves because of this calamity. That students will miss out on valuable friendships because they are mistrusting of strangers. And that students will not explore that the beautiful places outside of campus and never fully understand the true beauty of DeKalb.

We must honor those who lost their life, and the best way to do so is living yours to the fullest.

This is the only true way to move forward, together forward.