Ward’s play is ‘special’

By Jimmy Johnson

College football programs know no better feeling than hitting it right with a player.

But when that player is only a freshman and becomes an immediate force, everyone takes notice.

Jimmie Ward makes NIU take notice.

Ward has become the blocking bandit for the Huskies’ punt block team, registering three stuffs through nine games this season. So how is the freshman safety raiding opposing special teams units?

“It’s the urge I have,” Ward said. “I get an urge and I just set my goals, and once I set my goals, I go out and get it.”

The Mobile, Ala. native remained largely unnoticed on the recruiting radar coming out of high school.

“I wasn’t highly recruited in high school,” Ward said. “I didn’t have that big cousin or brother with my last name to set the path easier. In college, I knew I was going to have to make my own path.”

When NIU was scouting high school talent, the Huskies had a few defensive backs on their wish list. Ward was one of them and it didn’t take long for head coach Jerry Kill’s staff to decide he was their guy.

“Jimmie, far and away by how he played and his performance, was by far the best defensive back we were recruiting,” said Jay Sawvel, NIU defensive backs and special teams coach. “You watched his video and he made so many different plays.”

At first, it appeared Ward was going to have to hurdle over a few obstacles to make the field. A true freshman coming into this season and with both safety positions for NIU set with Tommy Davis and Tracy Wilson, finding playing time looked hard to come by for Ward.

Being buried on the depth chart didn’t shake Ward’s confidence.

“I knew I was going to shine somehow,” he said.

Ward has played sparingly in the secondary, recording 13 total tackles with a forced fumble, but it is on special teams where the freshman has truly shined.

“He’s got a great attitude so it’s easy to coach him,” Sawvel said. “You can get in him and coach him hard.”

Ward’s work ethic has certainly paid off, as he has become one of NIU’s best players on special teams.

“You never know what’s going to happen with him,” NIU defensive end and fellow punt block member Darnell Bolding said. “Every time he’s came through for us, it’s been crazy.”

One thing is for certain: Ward is no longer under the radar.