Study abroad outside of a NIU program

By Jack Baker

DeKALB | Students considering study abroad trips may choose programs run by alternative groups instead of the traditional university-run programs.

One of these groups is Education First (EF) College Break. Their trips do not count for college credit; however, they provide an opportunity for students to travel and experience other countries, said Taylor Tracy, the Illinois area manager for EF College Break.

“A lot of our travelers typically do a trip with us, and that broadens their horizons on maybe where they’d like to study abroad later on in their college careers,” Tracy said.

Anne Seitzinger, director of the Study Abroad Office, said the programs offered through NIU feature the same kind of cultural experiences as the EF trips, but also count for academic credit.

“If a professor comes in with an idea for a trip, we put together cultural activities and the logistics for it in cooperation with the professor,” Seitzinger said. “But there’s also actual credit that is offered.”

Senior marketing major Edwin Pangilinan said he is going on one of EF trips this winter to eight countries in Europe.

Pangilinan said he originally planned to go on a trip through the College of Business, but he went with the EF trip because he is graduating in December. He said that this trip was easier to set up because he wouldn’t have to register and count it as a class.

“I started finding out how to finance the trip, and I came to the conclusion that this was a cheaper trip,” Pangilinan said. “I’m graduating, and I thought I might as well do it now.”

Pangilinan said he is excited for the trip.

“I’m hoping to learn more about different cultures, learn more about the history of different countries, experience different foods and different kinds of entertainment,” Pangilinan said. “I want to be able to say I was there.”

Trips through EF, like the one Pangilinan is going on, include round-trip flights, a full-time tour director and entrance to select attractions.

“We take care of everything,” Tracy said. “It takes out a lot of the hassle of traveling abroad.”

The NIU Study Abroad trips include many of the same things, but they do not include airfare.

“The majority of our programs don’t include flights,” Seitzinger said. “It gives students freedom to travel before or after the program and see more of the country.”

In addition to the EF College Break program, there are numerous alternative study abroad opportunities, including those offered by Academic Programs International, International Study Abroad and the American Institute For Foreign Study.

These groups offer a mix of trips that include foreign internships, trips with academic credit, as well as entire semesters spent abroad.

Pangilinan said he is looking forward to the EF trip because it is more leisurely based than the Study Abroad trips.

“It’s more of a more relaxed trip, you choose to go on your own schedule,” Pangilinan said. “Any students looking to travel should consider it.”