Campus blotter for 11/18/10

By Northern Star Staff

The following was taken from the University Police. Anyone mentioned is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The University Police Department provides police reports on the Web at finfacil.niu.edu/PublicSafety.

Nov. 2

• At 12:10 p.m., a resident of Grant Tower South reported that someone stole his cell phone from his shorts pocket while he took a shower. With no leads or further information, this case is administratively closed.

Nov. 7

• At 7:20 p.m., a theft of a wallet was reported that occurred at Neptune East. With no suspects or leads, this case is administratively closed.

Nov. 11

• At 2:37 p.m., a complainant reported the theft of his cell phone. Due to lack of available evidence, this case is administratively closed.

• At 3:43 p.m., there was a report of theft. A complainant left her purse in the bed of a pickup truck at Huskie Stadium. When she returned to retrieve it, the purse was gone. With no leads or further information, this case is administratively closed.

Nov. 12

• At 11:54 p.m., officers doing a building check of Lincoln Hall noticed the doors of the men’s restroom shut. They investigated and inside were several persons preparing to drink some beer. The beer was voluntarily disposed of and the cans discarded. The parties involved received referrals to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal possession of alcohol by a minor.

Saturday

• At 11:52 p.m., officers approached a vehicle in Lot W with fogged up windows. After questioning the occupants, all of them admitted to drinking alcohol. Two received verbal warnings and another person was referred to the Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct for illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor.

Monday

• At 9:41 p.m., a report was received of a fight in progress at Anderson Hall. Kenneth Chew, 18, of Chicago, was observed hitting another person, causing visible injuries to the face. The injured party refused treatment. Chew was arrested for battery, posted bond and was released.

• At 11:15 p.m., a complainant reported the theft of his coat left on the sidelines at the Campus Recreation Center while he played badminton. The coat contained miscellaneous items including a credit card that had already been fraudulently used. This case is pending investigation.