Websites offer services to make ordering food easier

By Jalen Cobb

Students are able to order food online and soon through their mobile devices thanks to websites such as Campus Special and Student Media Group.

These coupons can be used online to order food and have it delivered to the desired location. Companies such as these are giving students the freedom to find deals at no cost.

Student Media Group provides planners with coupons found in the back pages to several college campuses across the nation.

“We are really geared to the college demographic,” said Debbie Gordon, CEO of Student Media Group.

Campus Special provides students with a coupon booklet filled with $100 worth of coupons. These coupons can be used at a variety of local restaurants and businesses.

“Everyone likes the idea that they can get a deal,” said Joe Jacobs, one of the co-founders of Campus Special.

This program provides student with different choices at reasonable prices. The available options not only give students different meal options, but also coupons for local stores and boutiques.

“We focus on things in the community that appeal to college students,” Gordon said.

The coupon books and planners have been distributed throughout campus at a variety of locations such as the University Bookstore and Village Commons Bookstore.

“Our coupon books allow students to get the deal that they’re looking for at a variety of places,” Jacobs said.

There are a variety of different restaurants that participate in various regions. NIU has 12 listed participating restaurants on the Campus Special website.

Gordon said local restaurants and businesses are encouraged to participate in creating deals that are attractive to get new customers.

There are different types of coupons available in this deals, she said. There is the ongoing low grade deal, the five percent off purchase, the 15 percent off purchase and the 50 percent to 90 percent off are type of coupons Student Media Group focuses on.

“I like the coupon books because they can be used almost anywhere and they have some good deals in them,” said senior psychology major Kara Williams.

Companies are introducing more technology advanced deals to appeal to students. Campus Special is offering a new program titled “Text It 2 Me,” which will be released next semester.

“Text It 2 Me” allows students to receive coupons through text messages and a Facebook app, which provides access to the virtual food court while on Facebook, Jacobs said.

Student Media Group is also introducing a new program titled mybestfriendstacy.com, which will be available in about a month.

The program gives students the chance to access daily deals online. They are also introducing a mobile app in the first quarter of 2011, which is associated with the website. Students will receive text alerts whenever a deal becomes available in their area.

“Deals on [mybestfriendstacey] won’t be live until four weeks from now, but students can subscribe now and receive e-mail alerts when they become available,” Gordon said.