A marketing obstacle for Tuesday night football

By Andrew Singer

Marketing for a Tuesday night football game may be one of the hardest things that a marketing department at a university has to face.

Consider the fact that it is a week night and students do have classes near game time. Adding even more pressure is the fact that the game will be televised by ESPN 2, and that the viewing public will judge the university in large part for how many fans are in attendance.

All circumstances that make NIU Director of Marketing Amanda Benzine’s job especially difficult.

“It’s just that there are more obstacles that we’re dealing with,” Benzine said. “Students have classes and there’s just a lot more to compete with. We’re going to get the word out, though, like we would for any Saturday afternoon game.”

That said, the NIU Marketing Department plans on implementing a few new ways to get the word out. On Monday, all NIU football players have been told to wear T-shirts that read, “Bring the Noise, Nov. 9.” Then, Tuesday night before the game against Toledo kicks off, the players will throw the shirts into the stands.

While Benzine’s job is to sell the game, she also has a slew of graduate students to help out. As part of a graduate marketing course, students have been assigned to arrange a sign making contest with the students in the residence halls. At halftime, former NIU running back Garrett Wolfe will judge the contest.

NIU head coach Jerry Kill will also join in the effort to bring fans out to the game. On Monday, Kill will ride around in a golf cart with NIU mascot Victor E. Huskie to hand out tickets at the most populated parts of campus.