Don’t blame the RHA; students prioritize

By Letter Writer

In reply to Mr. Baker’s letter in Thursday’s Northern Star–Mr. Baker, in his letter criticizing the Residence Hall Association for holding an NBA watch party on the same day and time of the memorial to a fallen NIU student makes the mistake in assuming that all students share his own priorities and values.

Many students knew Ms. Keller personally, and many are simply disturbed by the idea of a student being murdered, and so would make time to attend her memorial.

Over 1,000 students did, according to an NIU Today article, and some 550 were watching the ceremony online, according to a statement on the “Missing Antinette Keller” Facebook page.

However, NIU has a population of 24,397 students, 93.6 percent of whom may be interested in the case but don’t see themselves as personally impacted enough to interrupt their lives for memorial services.

Some share my own opinion that any increased security is a facade, that NIU residents and students are in no more or less danger now than they ever were, and would prefer to carry on their lives and activities normally. What proportion of students did you see wearing yellow to support Ms. Keller on Monday, Oct. 25?

For these, I support the decision of the RHA, or any group, in continuing business as usual.

Thomas Hodges

NIU Alumnus

Class of ‘09